In recent years, the changes in the world order, the conditions and reasons for this, and its requirements for different countries have become serious topics in foreign policy and international relations studies. These changes include political, economic, and cultural fields at the global level, which cause changes in the way countries interact with each other, as well as changes in the way international conflicts are resolved. But what are the signs of this change in the international political order? How can you be successful in getting the right position in this new order?
In relation to signs, the following can be mentioned:
- The growth of China's power and developments in Asia: China's rise as one of the world's economic and military powers has caused great changes in the world's political order. These developments include economic and military developments to a greater extent and cultural developments on a more limited level.
- Developments in the West Asian region: the influential events of this region, including the costly proxy wars in Syria and Yemen and the failure of the world superpowers to deal with them, the movement of the Arab countries of the Persian Gulf towards an independent and pragmatic foreign policy, the stability and resistance of the Islamic Republic Iran against the unprecedented and all-round sanctions of the United States and the relative ineffectiveness of these sanctions, Iran's significant developments in the field of drones and missiles and such things have been among the important developments that affect the status and prestige of the superpowers in the world system, the traditional conflict resolution methods and the nature of the international system.
- Changes in international relations: among the superpower's failure to deal with the JCPOA, the split in the European Union with Britain's withdrawal from this union, China's leadership in the economic arena, Russia's rise to play an active role in strategic areas are also other factors that contribute to the change in the world order.
In such a situation, the Islamic Republic of Iran, as a regional power that has been effective in changing the ruling international order and is affected by the consequences of this change, should have the necessary preparation to actively face and play a role in these developments.
Although Iran, as one of the countries with a very old history and culture and with significant economic, military, and cultural capabilities, still has an important position in the international order, maintaining and promoting this position depends on various factors such as the intelligence management of political and economic development in the domestic arena and the formulation of a dynamic, multilateral and dignified foreign policy while paying attention to the facts and taking into account the country's capabilities and limitations. In this regard, placing Iran in the new world order requires the following actions:
- Economic and political development: In the first step, it should be noted that an effective role in regional developments and global influence requires the country to have strong popular support in the domestic arena, and these conditions cannot be provided except with progress in the economic and political arena. Therefore, in order to have a suitable position in the new world order, Iran must develop its capabilities in economic fields while taking advantage of domestic facilities and capacities, seeking to attract foreign investors, and developing joint cooperation with foreign companies. In the political arena, the words of the founder of the revolution that the measure of the nation's vote should always be taken into consideration in the speech and actions of decision-makers and executives, and in this way, the social capital and popular support of the political system should be strengthened.
- Positive self-imaging in the region and the world: In the last few decades, one of the serious policies of Iran's regional and international enemies and rivals have been to promote the Iranophobia policy and present a dangerous and disruptive image of order and stability in the region and the world. The policy has been intensified after the Abraham Accords and with Israel's efforts to change the attention of Arab governments and nations from its side to Iran. In this regard, in order to play an effective role in the new world order, it is necessary for Iran, by focusing on soft power and media and public diplomacy, to display the image of a responsible country and guarantor of peace and security and try to play the role of a mediator in ending all wars and tensions.
- Strengthening international relations: Iran should strengthen its relations with different countries by diversifying its foreign policy and avoiding dependence on one or more limited countries in the West or East and finding new markets for the export of its manufactured goods and services.
- Cooperation with international organizations: Iran should cooperate with international organizations as effective non-governmental actors by effectively participating in these organizations and being effective and role-playing in solving international issues.
In general, it can be said that being among the designers and shapers of the new international order requires the possession of both hard and soft power tools, and therefore the Islamic Republic of Iran must simultaneously strengthen its hard and soft power elements and of course,, considering the role of ideas, norms, and mental images, it is necessary above all to seek authority and soft influence in the domestic, regional and global arena.
Mohammad Mehdi Mazaheri, university professor
(The opinions expressed are those of the authors and do not purport to reflect the opinions or views of the IPIS)